This past week has brought on many changes for each of us. One of those has been how to keep our children learning while schools have closed for at least 6 weeks.
As each of us navigate the homeschool experience, several resources keep popping up from companies that are offering services free of charge. I thought it might be helpful to have these resources listed in one place. The list is comprised of the resources I have come across during the past week or so. Hopefully you find some of them useful.
Some that don’t fall into the homeschool category, but are important are the following:
- Financial Resources for Washington Residents Impacted by Covid-19 https://dfi.wa.gov/coronavirus-financial-resources?fbclid=IwAR0Nr0ra0Lo6xZYKyDVY_NAqhWMhekpfkrXikEcVUR16St9mZHnQ3SDTGTo
- Comcast offers internet for low income families. https://www.thurstontalk.com/2020/03/13/comcast-increases-access-to-and-speeds-of-discounted-internet-for-low-income-olympia-thurston-county-residents-through-coronavirus-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR1QQGhn688fh9Mdt1KRh7hLIlEc3EfufqlZkTFGmtnIfe-Xr7QsUfSICPo
Here is the list of “homeschool help” resources. If you find a new one, let me know and I will add it onto the list.
- TSD has a list of resources on their website that they put together to help us navigate this new terrain. They have is separated in elementary and secondary education. https://www.tumwater.k12.wa.us/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=40&ViewID=6446EE88-D30C-497E-9316-3F8874B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=24355&PageID=1
- 24 at home learning activities for parents of young children. https://blog.brookespublishing.com/24-at-home-learning-activities-to-share-with-parents-of-young-children/?fbclid=IwAR2DXnLH3MmC0I_C-WpjVVAGA-asndP1jaqOfUdKboZkuXilezUgxDgW7Oc
- This one has many different resources and is a pretty comprehensive list of some great free resources can be found on this website: http://www.amazingeducationalresources.com
- From Audible.com: With all of us experiencing varying degrees of social distancing and school closures, we have created something that we hope makes our customers’ lives a little easier. At stories.audible.com, you will find hundreds of our titles available completely free. The collection has been handpicked by our editors and is a mix of stories to entertain, engage, and inform young people, ages 0–18.
- www.musicplayonline.com is a fantastic interactive music website for elementary ages (and probably older). All students can access it now for free.
- Username: snow
- Password: 2020
- They’ve had a lot of traffic so check back later if it’s down.
- The Crash Course has lots of resources for high school and middle school students. There are also some for younger kids too. https://thecrashcourse.com
- A great learning tool for all ages is Khan Academy. https://www.khanacademy.org
- Science Mom on YouTube: www.youtube.com/sciencemom
“Each show will feature a science lesson, math activities, interactive games, and stories. If you’d like to share your creation with other families who are following along with Quarantime, post it to Instagram with the hashtags #quarantime and #sciencemomsquad. Feel free to tag me too! We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Each day we post a simple worksheet that goes along with the show. You can find those at www.patreon.com/sciencemom.”
- Actor Josh Gad (voice of the snowman in Frozen) is reading books to kids online. You can access these through Twitter. Go to your Twitter account and search for his name, the videos are all on his page.
- 12 Famous museums offer virtual tours you can take on your couch. https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/museums-galleries/museums-with-virtual-tours?fbclid=IwAR0a0W8vBGPxrj9JRCPLSPjr1iRnglIG91Yl9AwU0vmNV2dydnK1-nYzNpk
- Watch, listen, and play games to learn all about amazing animals. www.switcheroozoo.com
- Learn all about geography and fascinating animals on www.kids.nationalgeographic.com
- Go “into the book” to play games that practice reading strategies, www.reading.ecb.org
- Read, play games and hang out with Dr. Seuss and his friends at www.seussvulle.com
- Practice math and reading skills all while playing games at www.abcya.com
- Play games while practicing math and reading skills at www.funbrain.com
- Hand out with your favorite characters all while learning at www.pbs.org
- Practice your phonics skills with these read-along stories at www.starfall.com
- Have some of your favorite stories read to you by movie stars at www.storyonline.net
- Read, playgames, and conduct cool science experiments at www.highlightskids.com
- 63 Easy science experiments for kids using household items. https://mommypoppins.com/kids/50-easy-science-experiments-for-kids-fun-educational-activities-using-household-stuff?fbclid=IwAR2w3aDzvHha9CrK6RUvsMkT1pQ6xRsV6Dhg7FIYR1qB7R35bjntQu2egWw
- Online health class to get high school health class credit. http://teen-aid.com/
- In these multiplication worksheets, students first match the multiplication sentence to the picture, and then answer the multiplication sentence, using the picture as an aid, counting or skip counting as necessary. https://www.k5learning.com/free-math-worksheets/second-grade-2/multiplication/sentences?fbclid=IwAR35hbc7WB_usDa4jyq6Yry5utTJ8YpvdBXJtowAGIEEOrx87QD4A97Q_oI
- 2020 Writer’s contest open until March 31, 2020. https://www.wqed.org/education/writers-contest?fbclid=IwAR1uQmBImAHRNJVpQnwEyt29cQTleRVZwUC9OewGoni1RNSCunStWxmBrv8
- Special Ed resourses. Here is a blog for those of you interested in resources for Special Education. https://www.mrsdscorner.com/digital-learning-resources-and-websites/?fbclid=IwAR2_KlkraDECJe5nsNPj4lggDUgXNwgsV08YvnJDewV7HsQiu8wxbgPfP34
- Free printable worksheets and educational activities to help making learning fun. Resources arranged by grade or subject. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.123homeschool4me.com/home-school-free-printables/&sa=D&ust=1584660204327000&usg=AFQjCNHp5j7EqETr6kEHtP3MmyalQSCbQg
- Purple Mash is a website designed for children aged 3-11. It contains many creative tools ie: coding, animation, publishing, art and also applications for maths, spelling and grammar. Teachers can ‘set work’ for children easily then view / comment on completed files. It also contains thousands of topic based activities. Serial Mash gives you a whole library of e-books and corresponding activities. Both can be used on any tablet or computer with a web browser. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q%3Dhttps://2simple.com/blog/using-purple-mash-when-school-closed/%26sa%3DD%26ust%3D1584027992019000%26usg%3DAFQjCNG_On4CbMeD212jWS85gpquSmYrxQ&sa=D&ust=1584660204328000&usg=AFQjCNGBTdKkQVftmUQW_-bWdpnjKeKhOw
- Easy-to-use AR learning app and lesson plans provide you and your students with the opportunity to design and create in Augmented Reality. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.3dbear.io/3dbear-free-access-education-coronavirus&sa=D&ust=1584660204329000&usg=AFQjCNGKsyhjZzTpEFaS_xkSRsSCG78hNA
- Education software that inspires a love of learning https://www.google.com/url?q=http://3plearning.com/distance-teaching&sa=D&ust=1584660204329000&usg=AFQjCNFzTLBQuo1YE-VWacnD5Nl0Zb45kw
- Free Video Meetings. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://8×8.vc/&sa=D&ust=1584660204330000&usg=AFQjCNGFxmoNclHlbfOHt29VZRT4_3MfJg
entire eBook collection is now available to students to access at home FREE.
- The Nº1 Homeschooling App in Spanish for Primary students. http://get.academons.com/
- Academy4SC is a video series on various psychology, rhetoric, logic, reasoning, and economic topics. Each video comes with an explanation of the topic as well as a lesson plan. New videos are added frequently. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://academy4sc.org/&sa=D&ust=1584660204334000&usg=AFQjCNHO8oHQawR3EfRwGexiJjDbHFJBaQ
- Individuals that sign up for free home version accounts can master their math facts for free. This is an important area of focus often neglected by schools. Teachers that want free full access to all of the topics for the remainder of this school year can inquire here: http://www.mathscore.com/products/online-math-practice/signup/quote/. http://www.mathscore.com
- Accessibyte Online is offering free access to its entire cloud platform of apps for blind, low vision, deaf and reading impaired students. Highly visual and fully audible typing tutor, games, flash cards and study apps. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.accessibyte.com/stay-safe&sa=D&ust=1584660204335000&usg=AFQjCNFkadgwgCuxW1eyY7wMVYtKKezOAA
- Achieve3000 partners with educators to deliver a comprehensive suite of digital solutions that significantly accelerate literacy and deepen learning across the content areas. Our personalized and differentiated solutions provide equity in the classroom, enabling teachers to help all students achieve up to 3x expected growth. For more than four million students in grades PreK-12, Achieve3000 improves high-stakes test performance and drives college and career readiness. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://achieve3000.com/community-resources/remote-learning-2020/&sa=D&ust=1584660204336000&usg=AFQjCNEt5O0fU1B21e1IJxP0TjuG7AxB-Q
- Amazing resources for history teachers by the British educator Russell Tarr including interactive simulations, quizzes, games that can easily be used for online learning. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.activehistory.co.uk/&sa=D&ust=1584660204337000&usg=AFQjCNG2YPhWv7c_k0232Z2afDHd3-0u2g
- ActivEd, Inc. offers Walkabouts, web-based lessons for pre-K to second-grade students that integrate movement with language arts, math, and reading content and correlate to your state’s standards. https://www.google.com/url?q=http://info.activedinc.com/covid&sa=D&ust=1584660204337000&usg=AFQjCNHt0LnwqDA_zaILJyh8EiruaGCDOA